The RequirementsTo be a good fit for this opportunity you must:
- Possess a Class A Commercial Driver's License Class (CDL) or the ability to obtain one
- Be able to:
- Pass a drug test
- Pass a background check
- Lift up to 75 pounds (with or without an accommodation)
- Reach, lift, carry, push and pull (with or without an accommodation)
- Speak English
- Join the Union
- Experience with heavy truck repair (tractor-trailers, brakes, tires, engines, 10-bays to 18-wheelers) and diesel engines
- Working undercarriage knowledge, including wheel seals, hydraulic and air brake systems, etc.
- Experience with light truck repair (trucks, vans, support vehicles)
- Experience using shop tools (engine hoists, welding, changing tires, small tools)
- Experience with preventative maintenance programs and activities
- Solid computer skills and experience working with computer instrumentation, including diagnostics
- ASE Brakes (A5) certification, or the ability to obtain it within 90 days of hire
- Your own set of tools up to 3/4"
- Experience with:
- Working under limited supervision
- Working outdoors (making road calls, responding to breakdowns, working in outside parking lots)
- Maintaining up-to-date manufacturing standards
- Gas engine repair
- Repairing forklifts
- Lift gates
- Formal schooling in technical industry (such as certification programs, military training, technical/community college)
- Completion of additional ASE or manufacturers certifications
The RoleYou will report to the Shop Lead and join a team of 6-7 technicians at our 8-bay, Piscataway, NJ facility. The team is a nice mix of long-tenured and newer technicians. This is a busy production plant with 300 different vehicles ranging from 53-foot tractor-trailers to single day cabs to F350s, beverage equipment trucks and forklifts. Most are International with a few Volvos.
You'll focus on scheduled preventative maintenance and also perform diagnostics and a full range of repair work. Our goal is to do everything in the shop from PM to major engine repairs. On occasion, you may make road calls.
Working with a high degree of independence, you will:
- Diagnose failures of vehicles and disassemble, repair and reassemble parts as necessary
- Use computer-based diagnostics to connect with modern truck interfaces
- Make basic use of computers for email and web browsers
- Adhere to DOT regulations
- Perform preventative maintenance on vehicles
- Maintain vehicle records as required
- Maintain and repair fleet equipment
- Fill out all necessary documents
- Maintain records such as daily check lists
More Good Reasons to Join UsExcellent Compensation
In addition to a competitive wage we offer comprehensive benefits that include health care benefits, a 401(k) including a company contribution, paid time off, generous parental leave, uniforms, tool allowance, and much more.
In our company, Diesel Truck Technician is a very important role. Your skills and performance enable us to serve our customers on time and with the quality service they expect.
- There are professionals on-site who can help you obtain a Class A CDL, if you don't already have one.
- You will be able to access world-class resources for ongoing training
- We'll train you on forklift repair if you don't already know it
- ASE certifications are encouraged, and we'll pay for them
Mechanics like working at PepsiCo, which is why we have a high number of long-term employees. Based on your skills, performance and certifications you could move up the ranks of the technician role and even set your sights on pursuing a Shop Lead position down the road. You can pursue advancement opportunities and bid for shifts in Piscataway or our facilities in Ashbury Park, Kearny or East Hanover.
Diversity as a Way of Life
We value and promote diversity, including offering internal support. For example, our employee resource groups do more than celebrate inclusion -- they make it a way of life. But don't just take our word for it! We've won awards from groups such as:
- Diversity Business magazine
- Black Enterprise
- Corporate Equality Index
- Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility (HACR)
- Women Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
Keys to SuccessSuccess will also require the following:
- A strong commitment to safety awareness
- The ability to work independently
- Solid interpersonal skills with a commitment to providing outstanding customer service
- Excellent attention to detail
- The ability to communicate tactfully and diplomatically with delivery drivers who typically don't have the mechanical knowledge you have
- Flexibility as priorities change
- A positive attendance record and satisfactory work history