Success ProfileTo be a good fit for the Diesel Mechanic opportunity, you will be at lease 21 years of age and have:
- 3 to 5 years of experience as a diesel mechanic; we'll also consider trade school grads with less experience
- The ability to work on a fleet of assets that include International, Volvo, CAT, Cummins and Detroit engines along with trailers and support vehicles, forklifts, pallet jacks
- A Class A commercial driver's license (CDL) or the ability to obtain one within 90 days of hire
- A state inspector's license or the ability to obtain one within 180 days of hire
- Diagnostic abilities
- Your own set of mechanic tools
- An insurable driving record and the ability to pass a background check and drug screen
- The ability to work on support vehicles and equipment, such as Ford, GM, and Sprinter vans, forklifts, etc
- ASE certifications
- Experience working on trailers
- The ability to work on engine components.
- A good work ethic and the ability to manage yourself and work with minimal supervision
- A desire and ability to grow in the role
Your WorkNote: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
Here in Roanoke we run a 2-bay shop and you'll join a team that includes a Foreman and three other Mechanics. The team performs just about all repair and preventative maintenance (PM) work except overhauling engines.
While you'll have a variety of responsibilities, you'll spend most of your time:
- Running diagnostics on trucks and trailers using Cummins Insight and Noregon software
- Performing PM work on different equipment
- Using your general mechanic abilities on engines, brakes, electrical and other systems
- And more
More About What We OfferTraining resources
- You'll grow your experience as you work on all types of equipment, from trailers to forklifts, and perform a variety of tasks, from PM to major repairs
- We frequently invite manufacturers' representatives to come in and provide on-site training on key equipment and new features
- We also offer optional online courses
Our Mechanics enjoy working together and we've created a family-like environment. With almost no overtime, you'll have plenty of time to spend with family and other areas of your life.
As a large, nationwide company, we're able to offer almost unlimited opportunities for growth, and we recognize and reward success. Each position has a "Roadmap to Success" showing just what you need to do to advance to the next level or role.
Teamwork and consistency
You'll always work with a partner on your shift, and the two of you will develop a solid relationship and help each other out. The Foreman overlaps both shifts to make sure everyone has what they need.
Video: Giving back to the community is one of our core values. Tony West, President of the PepsiCo Foundation, shares the company's corporate citizenship vision of Performance with Purpose through employee volunteerism.